Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A Few Corrections and Updates

Okay. So, I didn't plan my garden that well, rather, I didn't bother marking some of the plants that I started from seeds, attempting to go by memory. I made some errors in a couple of previous posts. Also, I'd like to correct a claim that I made on the Helpful Gardener Garden Forum, as well as in the previous post, regarding the pest deterring qualities of marigolds. I stated that I've yet to see any aphids on or near anything I've planted with marigolds, and stood by my assertion that they were aphid deterrents. A few days after I made such claim, I found an aphid infestation on a couple of African marigolds that I planted as a barrier around a cucumber plant. I'd like to change my standpoint on marigolds being deterrents, at least to aphids.

To correct a previous post, "The Setup and Layout", I stated that I had a tomato (Brandywine) plant in a container with marigolds and zinnia. Turns out, it was actually a cucumber plant.


The marigolds were ravaged by aphids, and I transplanted the zinnia to another container. In the same post, I stated that I had another tomato (Brandywine) planted in a large container with nasturtium, bee balm, zinnia and marigolds. Turns out, that one was actually another cucumber plant that I started from seed. I moved the nasturtium and lost the marigolds. The bee balm and zinnia are still in the container.

I stated that I had a cucumber plant in a large container with carrots, all started from seeds, but that's a tomato plant. Last correction, I didn't have a cucumber plant in the blue, plastic bin with the lettuce, chives and sunflower seedlings. It was a squash plant that got moved to its own container (pictured here, in the blue and white container tucked behind the sunflowers and corn):


The sunflowers were previously in the blue, plastic bin, now thriving in my makeshift raised bed. My theory of using the sunflowers to support a cucumber plant didn't pan out, but they're working well providing support for several Blue Lake pole stringless bean plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment