Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Xperiment

Last season (2009), I attempted to grow some vegetables and herbs in containers on our apartment balcony. Sadly, most of what I was growing didn't get enough sunlight and/or water and perished. I think I managed to get 3 or 4 sad, little cherry tomatoes off of 1 plant before it died. The previous year, 2008, I had more success. I mainly grew herbs on the balcony of our apartment (different apartment), but had to give most of them away when we moved since we didn't have a lot of space at the new apartment.

This season (2010), with a little more space, time, knowledge, and better conditions, I'm attempting to grow more vegetables and herbs. I'm growing tomatoes (Brandywine, Carolina Gold, Better Bush), bush beans, cucumbers, squash, leaf lettuce, corn (sweet yellow), watermelon (sugar baby), strawberries (everbearing), broccoli, carrots, and the following herbs: parsley, oregano, mint, rosemary, stevia, thyme, bee balm, basil. I've also planted sunflowers, marigold, zinnia, and some wildflowers, mainly to practice some companion planting techniques/ideas, to attract bees, butterflies and hummingbirds, and for color.

Here is a view of my back porch container garden, along with a makeshift raised bed.
I've read some books and have done some research online, but I have no idea what I'm doing. So, I'm considering this a rather large experiment in becoming more self-sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment